The Denver Citizen Oversight Board is looking for applicants! The COB presents a volunteer opportunity for individuals who have a passion for service and are looking to make an impact on how justice is carried out in Denver. The COB is an essential part of Denver’s independent, civilian oversight system, ensuring the Office of Independent Monitor (OIM) is effectively monitoring the uniformed law enforcement personnel in the Police, Sheriff, and Fire Departments and performing other duties as assigned by ordinance. The COB also furnishes an annual report to the Mayor and City Council, engages with the community, and provides policy input.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrates an interest in criminal justice and public safety, and a commitment to justice and equity
- Is committed to attending regular COB meetings, quarterly COB public meetings, and executing additional responsibility outside of meeting hours.
- Has experience in non-profit or government boards/commissions
- Possesses the capacity to thoughtfully and reasonably consider views from various stakeholders
- Has an understanding of how Denver city government works
- Represents the diverse communities of Denver in terms of geography, skills/expertise, life experience and identities/characteristics, including but not limited to: age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, ability, veteran status, gender, gender identity and/or expression, medical condition, and sexual orientation.
- Currently the COB does not have representation from Council Districts 1, 2, 3, 6 and 11. Candidates from these districts are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates cannot be an officer or employee of the City and County of Denver
- Candidates nor members of their immediate family cannot have ever been employed by the Denver police, sheriff, or fire departments
About the Citizen Oversight Board:
- COB members are appointed on a rotating basis by the City Council, the Mayor, and jointly. The current vacancy is for an appointment by the City Council.
- The COB meets twice monthly (1st and 3rd Friday of the month) from 10am to 1pm
- Members of the COB receive a $100/month stipend for time and resources expended during their terms of service.
- Term lengths for members are 4 years, subject to renewal, and initially staggered with 1, 2, 3, and 4-year terms.
To apply please:
- Provide a resume or CV
- Include a cover email/letter indicating why you are interested in this role and highlighting your relevant experience
All applications are due on September 6, 2021. Please send questions to Emily Lapel at Emily.Lapel@denvergov.org.